About the M2N research group
Welcome to the Molecular Materials and Nanosystems (M2N) research group. The M2N group is an interdepartmental research group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), active in the Departments of Applied Physics and Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. It brings together researchers from these two fields and aims at establishing a coherent research and educational program on the physics and chemistry of functional nanostructured organic and inorganic molecular materials and devices.
You can also find us on the TU/e website
Check out our latest papers here
Vacancy Associate-Full Professor in Unconventional Semiconductors
Looking for an ambitious and passionate scientist to lead a diverse group of researchers, we have opened a position of Associate-Full Professor in Unconventional Semiconductors.
As group leader in the Molecular Materials and Nanosystems group you will define and execute a high-quality research and educational program on the science and technology of unconventional semiconductors such as organic molecules and polymers, metal halide perovskites, mixed ionic-electronic conductors, or 2D materials. These intriguing materials are expected to contribute to societal and technological challenges in, e.g., in converting and storing solar energy, efficient lighting, photodetectors, or neuromorphic computing. You will instigate an experimental research activity in this dynamic field.
For more information and to apply please go to the website of TU/e. Application deadline is November 19, 2023.
Mahyar Taherpour will defend his PhD thesis "Accurate and fast modeling of opto-electronic processes in organic light-emitting diodes: From master equation to multiverse kinetic Monte Carlo modeling" on Thursday February 8, 2024 at 16:00 h in Atlas 0.710.
Michael Verhage will defend his PhD thesis "Spins for Energy. Local probing of structure, magnetism and conductivity of chiral molecules & complex oxides" on Tuesday February 20, 2024 at 16:00 h in Atlas 0.710.
Simone van Laar will defend her PhD thesis "Mixed-halide wide-bandgap perovskite semiconductors for photovoltaics" on Thursday March 14, 2024 at 13:30 h in Atlas 0.710.
- 16 November 2023 Junke Wang's paper Halide homogenization enables low energy loss in 2-eV-bandgap perovskites and increased efficiency in all-perovskite triple-junction solar cells was published in Nature Energy today. For a quick update check the Behind the Paper blog.
- 15 October 2023 A warm welcome to Thijs van Stralen who started his work today as a researcher.
- 19 September 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Bruno Pinto Branco who successfully defended his PhD thesis "Solar–driven water electrolysis: new multijunction solar cells and electrolysis materials". Bruno was awarded with two diplomas: one from the University of Stuttgart and one from Eindhoven University of Technology.
- 19 September 2023 Congratulations to Nico van Rijswijk and Rens Cuijpers who received their MSc diplomas today.
- 18 September 2023 A warm welcome to Rens Cuijpers who started his PhD today.
- 8 August 2023 An ERC Advanced Grant has been awarded to René Janssen for our group's research on multi-junction perovskite solar cells. For more information see the news item on the TU/e wbsite.
- 13 July 2023 Congratulations to Avalon Hayes for successfully defending her MSc thesis "Copper-based inorganic hole transport layers for upscaled p-i-n perovskite solar cells".
- 30 June 2023 In the third round the National Growth Fund has partially approved the SolarNL "Circular integrated high-efficiency solar panels" propsal in which our group is involved. For more information see the news item on the TU/e website and the website of SolarNL.
- 27 June 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Alessandro Caiazzo who successfully defended his PhD thesis "2D and Quasi-2D Perovskites for Optoelectronic Devices".
- 20 June 2023 Congratulations to Pieter de Haij and Bruno Langers who received their MSc diplomas today.
- 14 June 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Nicolas Daub who successfully defended his PhD thesis "Towards a more sustainable world: New organic molecules for nonaqueous redox flow batteries".
- 6 June 2023 Congratulations to Dimitar Georgiev for successfully defending his MSc thesis "New redox active organic molecules with deep reduction potential as anolytes for RFBs".
- 30 May 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Ludovico Riccardi who successfully defended his PhD thesis "Molecular copper and ruthenium water oxidation electrocatalyst for light-driven water splitting". Ludovico was awarded with two diplomas, one from University of Uppsala and one from Eindhoven University of Technology.
- 23 May 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Olivera Vuković who successfully defended her PhD thesis "Inorganic metal halide perovskite nanocrystals and thin films: photophysics, photovoltaics and environmental impact". Olivera was awarded with two diplomas, one from Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour and one from Eindhoven University of Technology.
- 22 May 2023 Congratulations to Thijs van Stralen for successfully defending his MSc thesis "Probing charge density oscillations in the cuprate superconductor Bi-2212 using electron energy loss spectroscopy".
- 22 May 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Xiao Ma who successfully defended his PhD thesis "The origin of dark current and trap states in organic photodiodes".
- 1 May 2023 Alessandro Caiazzo received the prize for the best onsite student talk of the EL20 Symposium on Photo and Radiation Detection with Organic, Perovskite and Nano-crystalline Semiconductors at the recent MRS Spring Meeting in San Francisco for his presenation on "Multidimensional Perovskites for High Detectivity Photodiodes"
- 1 May 2023 Congratulations to Ediz Garip for successfully defending his MSc thesis "Optimization and 2D/quasi-2D passivation of inverted FAPbI3-based perovskite solar cells"
- 21 April 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Riccardo Ollearo who very successfully defended his PhD thesis cum laude : "Exploring perovskite photodiodes – device physics and applications".
- 20 April 2023 Congratulations to Rens Cuijpers for successfully defending his MSc thesis "Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy on a Polar Molecular Crystal".
- 14 April 2023 Today the Dutch national newspaper NRC covered Riccarrdo Ollearo's work on perovskite photodiodes: Here in Eindhoven they make things that don't exist yet
- 3 April 2023 Congratulations to Dr. Bas van Gorkom who successfully defended his PhD thesis: "Highly sensitive photocurrent spectroscopy on hybrid perovskite solar cells" For more info see the news item on the TU/e website
- 28 March 2023 Congratulations to Nico van Rijswijk for successfully defending his MSc thesis "New redox active dicyano anolytes for high energy density and stable non-aqueous redox flow batteries".
- 27 March 2023 The recent paper of Kunal Datta and Alessandro Caiazzo on Light-Induced Halide Segregation in 2D and Quasi-2D Mixed-Halide Perovskites has been highlighted in an Energy Spotlight on New Advances in Metal Halide Perovskites. Please check it out here.
- 23 March 2023 Congratulations to Daniël Grosfeld for successfully defending his MSc thesis "Pure bromide perovskite solar cells".
- 14 March 2023 Congratulations to Stacey Fun who obtained her MSc diploma today.
- 9 March 2023 Congratulations to Luuk Sander for successfully defending his MSc thesis "All-inorganic wide-bandgap perovskite material for multi-junction solar cell applications".
- 1 March 2023 A warm welcome to Laura Bellini who started her PhD today.
- 17 February 2023 Riccardo Ollearo's paper Vitality surveillance at distance using thin-film tandem-like narrowband near-infrared photodiodes with light-enhanced responsivity was published in Science Advances today. At the TU/e website you will find a news item on this paper .
- 25 January 2023 Congratulations to Wouter Vels for successfully defending his MSc thesis "Ideality factor determination in mixed halide triple cation perovskite solar cells"
- 12 January 2023 Wiley's journal Ennvironmental Energy Materials organized a webinar on "Photovoltaics: present status and future perspectives" with contributions of Martin Green (UNSW), Henry Snaith (Oxford) and René Janssen (Eindhoven). A recording is available.
- 3 January 2023 A warm welcome to Nick Schipper who started his PhD today.
- 2 January 2023 A warm welcome to Christian McDonald who started his PhD today.